Friday, May 2, 2008

Classes Classes and Champeign Glasses

As most Alfred University Students say cheers to summer, I am rolling out the red carpet overseas for the Cannes International Advertising Festival. Alfred University offered me this amazing opportunity in this spring, and I have been looking forward to it ever since.

We have had classes to familiarize ourselves with our itinerary, and the way that the marketing world is evolving; but I'm looking forward to going overseas for my very first time! I took French for five years, and though I've lost my fluency in it, I like the idea of being a part of that culture. I just know there is so much to learn and I'm walking in with wide eyes.

Recently, we learned about how websites and online resources are becoming the one-stop-shop of social networking: You need to have infinite outlets. However, this seems like a hassle. I feel frustrated when I see that Facebook has a chat function that it didn't have before. There's no arguing that these hybrid type social networks are the most successful, but it's important to stay on board because, like with Facebook, if your timing is off you could just annoy people.

After some further reflection, I couldn't help but relate it to the idea of a grocery store. People used to go to the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker. But now it's the grocery store and everything is in one place. The more centralized and user friendly our online resources are the more successful they should be right?

Well, I can't help but think of my peers and those younger than me who really drive the popularization of the major social networks. Looking back at high school and junior high I know that everyone wanted to have their "thing". Whether it be a sport, club, or click, people just wanted to feel elite. Thus, builders of these websites have to watch out for the emergence of these wonderful subcultures and really nurture the to grow.

Of coarse this is all old news, but it is just me slowly working out my understanding of social networks, blogs, and online influence.

No comments: